Monday, October 1, 2012

Nice Gare du Sud, France


This formerly imposing station in Avenue Malausséna in Nice was built for the Compagnie des Chemins de fer du Sud de la France in 1892.  In later years it served as the Nice terminus of the metre gauge Chemins de Fer de Provence (CP) line from Nice to Digne until December 1991 when just short of its centenary, the CP abandoned the station because of its condition and repairs would have been too costly.  It was bought by the city of Nice which planned to demolish it, but following protests the building was saved, although it still seems to be unused. The platform hall now serves as a parking lot.
Renault diesel autorails at the tracks in front of the Gare du Sud - a tinted undated postcard, but probably circa 1950.

2 comments:

Roger Farnworth said...

Dear Gerard

I have been undertaking some research and private study on the Central Var Metre-gauge Line which ran from Nice to Meyrargues in the South of France.

I have been asked to consider turning that research into a book to be published in support of the GECP which runs steam trains on the Chemins de Fer de Provence Metre-gauge Line in Provence-Cote d'Azur.

https://www.traindespignes.fr

I would like to be able to include one of your photographs in the book, and I am writing to seek your permission to do so.

The image concerned appears on this link:

http://transpressnz.blogspot.com/2012/10/nice-gare-du-sud.html

Publication is planned on a not-for-profit basis on my part with any income from sales going to the GECP.

I have also become aware that I have not requested permission for the use of the photograph on my not-for-profit blog. Please accept my apologies. I am hoping that you would be prepared to give me your permission to continue to include the picture on my blog.

http://rogerfarnworth.com/2018/04/06/nice-to-digne-les-bains-part-1-nice-chemins-de-fer-de-provence-57

Best wishes

Revd. Roger Farnworth
Team Rector
The Parish of the Good Shepherd
Ashton-under-Lyne
Borough Dean of Tameside

Tel: 0161-330-2771
Email: rogerfarnworth@aol.com
Blog:. rogerfarnworth.com

transpress nz said...

Yes these postcards will be public domain under UK law now, so use as you wish. A mention of us would be welcome, of course.

Murray Edmonds, blog admin